In this post, I’ll show a quick trick to make your different Business Objects environments easily distinguishable from one another.
- BOBJ XI3.1 SP5
- Microsoft Paint (or similar)
- You have access to the Business Objects server, specifically to the tomcat directories.
It certainly isn’t pretty, but that’s the idea.
The SetupThe top bar in InfoView is made up of three separate images. In a default install, these are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\InfoViewApp\res\schema.blue
- banner_INFOVIEW.gif is the the top left logo
- app_banner_pattern.gif is an image only 1 pixel wide that is repeated across the centre-top section of the screen
- banner-right.gif is the logo shown on the right
The first step is to back these up. I prefer to copy/paste the entire folder rather than individual files.
To replace these with the red banner above, create three new images. The easiest way to do this is in Microsoft Paint.
- Open Paint (I’m using the Windows 7 version) and create an image 450 pixels wide by 45 pixels high.
- Use the bucket tool to color it red. Since this will be saved as a gif, it’s best to pick a pure red RGB(255,0,0). Perhaps obviously, it should look something like this:
- Click Save As and replace the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\InfoViewApp\res\schema.blue\banner-right.gif"
- Now, click Save As again and this time save over the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\InfoViewApp\res\schema.blue\app_banner_pattern.gif"
Although these images strictly don’t need to be 450 pixels wide, the image size is only 1kb so it doesn’t matter if they’re wider.
- Next, select the text tool in paint, click in your image and type whatever text you would like to appear in the top left.
- Click Save As once more and this time overwrite the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\InfoViewApp\res\schema.blue\banner_INFOVIEW.gif"
No restart of tomcat required, just hit F5 in InfoView and you’ll see the images.
If you’d like to do the same in the CMC, you’ll find the files located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\Tomcat55\webapps\CmcApp\images